 Trains / 3237
Re: What is the largest lego steam engine ever built?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:27:57 GMT

MOST 2 driver set articulateds (2DSAs)

Lets just say Mallet, since that is what it is...not a Fairlie or a
Beyer-Garratt  (although, a true mallet is compound...like a Y6B)

I said most above because I know of at least one articulated that had an
articulated boiler. It was actually only the smokebox, but there are accordion
pleats in the jacket casing and the smokebox is rigidly attached to the front
driver frame. The entire engine bends! Not very successful for fairly obvious
reasons. (it leaked smoke and had a very poor draw, for one thing....)

You should only -see- what was tried...

Hmm...now that gives me a idea...a large prototypical engine (Fairlie would
work well in LEGO, since with 0-4-4-0 arrangement it would be right...)(and
they were the last steam engines built in the UK for a common carrier
railway...Ffestiniog, although Tornado will soon be along (A1(a) class Tornado,
named after the GR1's that served in the Gulf war, is being built compleatly
from scratch.  All 50 of the orginal A1's were torched in the 60's.)

Too bad I don't have any spare motors right now...they are all in engines I
don't want to break up.

James Powell