 Trains / 3212
Re: What is the largest lego steam engine ever built?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:01:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Daniel Siskind writes:
In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson writes:
What is the largest lego steam engine ever built and who built it?

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com

I would say my Big Boy model would be a fair contender - the locomotive is 64
bricks long and the tender is an additional 33 bricks, making a grand total of
97 bricks.  The wheel arrangement for a Big Boy is 4-8-8-4 plus another 7 • axels
on the tender.  There is a picture of a very early prototype on my web site,
but I will be posting pics of the radically different final model soon.

Just as a note here, I believed, but cannot confirm (Although I'm extremely
talented, and handsome too, mind reading clear across the Pacific isn't one of
my talents that I choose to use) that Jonathan's original question was asking
about prototypes rather than models. That was why I asked the clarifying
questions I did.

On rereading, though, he did mention the word LEGO (1).

I agree with Daniel, his may well be the current record holder as from the tip
of the pilot to the rear coupler of the tender, it is the LONGEST I've ever
personally seen. And it's a very nice model... the iteration he had at GMLTC
last nite was more bigboyish than the one of Wednesday...

1 - although it was improperly capitalized, so I figured he was talking about
the very famous pygmy tribe that lives in Sumatra and has been building
railroads of late.

++Lar