 Trains / 3234
Re: Opions on the 4561
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 01:46:10 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Steve Martin wrote:

I was on KB-Kids website and I noticed these reviews of the 4561.  Obviously,
even though the AFOL trainheads don't seem to like the newer sets as well, the
kids do.  I must say my son certainly likes it.  Sometimes I think the adults
miss the magic that kids see, even if the sets are not all we would want them
to be.

While I haven't built this set yet, I have to say that based on the
pictures it is a decent set. No, it doesn't look like any real train I
know of, but it is a lot better than 4559. The only really terrible
thing is the engine.

I try and look at LEGO, especially trains, from two angles. One angle is
realism. The other is does is have that "magic". There are a lot of sets
which are horrible in their realism, but somehow have that magic. It may
be that the color scheme is so well thought out that you ignore the
details. It could be that neat "action" feature (after building 6983 Ice
Station Odyssey, I am taking a real like to Ice Planet). It could just
be that while the set looks like nothing real, it just looks cool, or
looks like it could be real.

I have to admit that while I am enthralled by the realistic creations
many people have made, I am actually more captivated by the "magic". We
are playing with a toy after all.

pilot54563 NOV-25
This is one great product. My fourteen year old son has been a LEGO fanatic
since age four, and over the years has amounted a collection of over 200 sets.
He loves it, and so does the whole family. Since my eldest was four, LEGO has
done nothing but make high-quality products tht continue to delight us. He
still has LEGO sets as old as ten years, still around and still lasting. What
is so great about LEGOs is that, unlike other toys, they will never be put
into the attic. <snip>

Hm, foreshadowing of an AFOL?

makiasc NOV-23
Our 13 yearold son loves this train set. We bought extra tracks and he changes
the configuration to go around furniture in his room. Now he is trying to
build a bridge for the train to cross. He is looking forward to additions to
this set.

He'll have to get a S@H catalog to find any... It would be nice if they
came out with an add on car set for this train.

Do what my wife did. Buy another set. Then carefully cut the train numbers and you
get two more cars and a caboose!

Dean