 Trains / 3186
Re: Do you like monorails?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:46:59 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

When the first space monorail came out I was not very impressed, but I said to
myself, "If they ever make a town monorail I will get one." LEGO did so I did. I
walked in to Toys R Us just to see what was new, and there it was. I bought it
with hesitating the first time I saw it. 6399... everything about the set makes
me smile.

Hmmm... I got the Futuron one from a neighbor, who didn't like LEGO'S
that much. I got it for 80.00? I loved it. I played with that for hours,
having it connect my Space Base with my city.

for the 6399 Airport Shuttle, I saved for moths to get the 150.00 plus
tax. Finally, I got enough money. My friend Josh drove me to the Pierson
Road Meijer to get it. I grabbed it, went to the front, and got in an
express line. The cashier scanned it, aand said (You are not supposed to
do this, according to Meijer policy), "Is this for your brother or
something?" I said, "No, it is for me." My favorite line "Aren't you a
little old to play with LEGO?" That just made me mad, and probably
resulted into me becoming a lifelong AFOL. But it was still worth it. I
stayed up all night to build it, and connect into my city and the Space
monorail. It was so neat.

I tried to get the Unitron one from DYA, but they sold out. Oh well, I
hope monorails do come back one day!

Scott S.

Chris

P.S. The Pause database has the price wrong. The price on the side of my box is
$149.99 not $139.99

Mark Herzberg wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Scott Arthur writes:
I was working on Sydney (Oz) a few months back, and the Mono-rail there had
no driver (or so it appeared). Perhaps this could be a way for TLG to save
money if the ever use mono-rail again?

They use the same monorails in Miami. They are called People Movers actually.
Systems are in service, AFAIK, in Dallas, Miami, and Sydney. They usually are
for small inner-city routes (i.e. the Miami route goes all through downtown
and connects with the subway, which only crosses through downtown with two
stations) It would be really nice if LEGO started offering new People Mover
style monorails.

Scott E. Sanburn
CAD Operator
Affiliated Engineers, Inc.

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/

Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Main LEGO Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/legoindex.html

Soon to come: Star Wars LEGO Sets Parts Selling Page!

Quote of the Month: (In Slate)

Al Gore: "Even though national security policy didn't come up, I
suggested that one critical issue for voters to ponder is this:
Whose FINGER do you want on the CONTROL-ALT-DELETE button?"

These are the same people who sued MICROSOFT, folks. If he is that
ignorant about computers, he should not be anywhere near controlling
anything, much less the United States.