 Trains / 31330
Re: Need Help Designing a Train Table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 04:00:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Clifton D. Chambers wrote:
   John, I read your post and was trying to figure out how your tables were connected to the other club tables at NMRA (2006), but I realized after checking the photos from the event, your tables were part of the stand-alone display. Buying the COSTCO tables are a quick and easy fix, but lack the ability to adjust and plan for expansion. I purchased some of the tables for a church project, and they are great folding tables. I noted that you indicated that you actually have an overhang with the base plates when set up. Our custom tables do not have that problem. Plus, if there is a difference in height of less than an inch, how do you make an adjustment between the tables? With the club tables, the solution is as simple as adjusting the screw on the base of the table leg. Our tables can be individually adjusted and create less of a problem with the train track as a result. We can also adjust the height of the tables to make a lower sea, water area, or mountain area.

Clifton

COLTC has folding tables. For the most part they are great. They do offer a lot of flexibility for setup and arrangement. Ours fit 3x6 standard baseplates, with a half inch overhang that has never been a problem for the train tracks. We even have about 8 adjustable height tables, which allow for valleys, etc.. But you don’t need that, any bulky item could be used as hidden fill to raise and lower the terrain. Just don’t let the folks with skyscrapers stand on the plastic tables too much, otherwise the tables will start to bow !@#$%. But if you plan on putting hundreds of pounds on each table, you can get stiffer folding tables (particle board, with metal under-frame, e.g., as is the case with our adjustable height tables).

At least our tables have been a consistent height (except for the bowing noted above). Usually we do not bother about minor changes in height from one table to the next. But when it is important (e.g., for pulling long trains), we have a pack of shims in the trailer. They were a couple of bucks at the hardware store.

For a home display good folding tables are probably a great option.

Benn