 Trains / 31326
Re: Need Help Designing a Train Table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 16:18:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Damon Burke wrote:

Clifton;
Thank you for that info and the links. My table is only for personal enjoyment,
will not be traveling, and I have a limited space in my garage. I had considered
leaving a space in the middle, but your modular idea is really great. What do
you use to connect the tables together at shows?
We use two- inch spring clamps to connect the tables on the underside.  Two per
side on each side where two tables are joined:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100027346/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The spring clamps hold the table together without damaging the wood.

Our tables’ legs are attached with Stanley Hardware 76-3755 Bright Brass Table
Leg Brace, which allows the table legs to be folded into the table for storage
and transport.  There are some tables that have legs that can removed and
inserted into a square box on the underside of each corner of  the table and
kept in place by a long screw, with an eye, inserted into the side of the corner
box.  The corner box is created by adding an L shaped frame to each corner of
the table.  The legs are predrilled with a threaded cylinder that the screw fits
into.
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Stanley-Hardware-76-3755-Bright-Brass-Table-Leg-Brace-6462949.html

You made me think back to my childhood to an old idea I used for my racecar
tracks and HO scale train sets.  I made an 8 x4 foot layout and kept it in my
bedroom.  It was connected to the ceiling by a series of pulleys from the
corners and ceiling.  When I wanted to play with my train set, I would lower the
layout to about three feet off the floor.  When not in use, it was raised to the
ceiling and out of the way for storage.  The height of your LEGO buildings on
the layout will determine the amount of clearance you will need from the
ceiling.  You could even add a motor or some kind of crank to raise and lower
the layout.  By adding removable legs, you can stabilize the layout when
lowered.