 Trains / 31322
Re: Need Help Designing a Train Table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:20:59 GMT

Damon,
You should first determine the purpose of your train tables and your long-range
goals.  Are the tables train tables only for your personal use, or do you
anticipate using them as part of a club display.  If the later is true then you
need to build the display tables based on the ability to break down, transport,
store, etc.  Since you intend to move your display inside over the holidays, you
should think in terms of a modular design with several tables combined to make
up the display table.  They must also be built with the ability to adjust the
height.  Most club tables have been built over the years with the same
dimensions and a close standard, and are interchangeable.

If the tables are for your personal use and not anticipated to be part of a club
display, etc., then you will need to focus more on where the table will be used.
Keep in mind that it is better to cut the table measurements based on the size
of the large base plates rather than the other way around.  The club tables used
by WaMaLTC are 40.25" to a side (square), in club terms 128 studs on each side.
The size of our club tables are just big enough to maximize the display area,
but still small enough to be manageable in transporting in an SUV, van or large
car.

There are several reasons for the measurements of the table.  You do not want to
make your table any larger than your ability to reach the center of the table
with ease.  If there is a problem (building repair, derailment) in the center,
you want to be able to fix the problem without creating additional problems.
You should be able to reach up to four feet from the side without difficulty. If
you are going to place the display against a wall and are using larger
measurements, you will have to consider the use of nontraditional layouts (L
shaped, etc), or some kind of opening that you can open from below the table,
to maintain the four-foot rule.  If you are going to add a mountain or tunnel to
your layout, make sure you can get access to the whole tunnel without destroying
your display.  There are a number of websites on model railroading that will
give you some good ideas on designing your layout.  Some of the LEGO layouts are
designed using TrackDraw and is very helpful.  The parts, including track, road
plates, and base plates are preloaded and measured.

You may want to paint or treat the wood to keep it from cracking, and drying.

Remember not to cross the polarity of your track in setting up the layout.
Positive and negative current remains on the respective side of the track. If
you are going to a large table display, you will have to reinforce the sides or
some other means to stabilize the middle of the table.  Anything less than ¾
inch plywood will sag over time.

I hope this helps in giving you a good start.  I am sure others will provide
more insight to guide you creating you LEGO train layout.