 Trains / 31328
Re: Need Help Designing a Train Table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 11:28:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Damon Burke wrote:
   I am hoping to finally move my Lego Trains on to a proper table so that the kids and I can actually enjoy them, instead of just admiring them (if you know what I mean). I currently have a 4 x 8 plywood set up on some saw horses and its just not cutting it. I am hoping to increase the size of the table and make it a bit more permanent but still able to move inside (its in the garage) for the holidays. If anyone has some suggestions or better yet, experience please let me know. Cheers.

Rather than the custom-built-wooden-tables route, we (TCLTC) took the folding table route, specifically THESE from Costco (They are cheaper to purchase at the store itself). The nice thing about this table is that it can adjust up to 36” high, which is a great working/viewing height for adults. Further, it allows either 10 large baseplates (almost: 1.5” hangover on the ends), or 18 32x32 baseplates exactly. Of course, the advantage of a folding table is obvious; it can also be used for any other household duty as well. Plus, it’s simple, and expandable.

That would be my recommendation. Good luck to you, Damon!

JOHN

I think John raises a good point. I have a number of tables that match the wood tables my club built (they were built at the same time as the first batch) and they’re sturdy and reconfigurable, but the folding tables are very attractive. They go up at shows a lot faster, for one thing, and they’re a lot lighter.

We have 2 of those tables and are likely to get more.