 Trains / 30613
Re: Western Train with instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:10:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   Strange. The edgelines show up very clearly on my system. I’m curious how other people find them?

They’re set to something similar to dark grey.

See the difference between your instructions and those I created from the MPD: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/blackisblack.jpg

My guess is that your LDView lpub setup has edge lines set to “always black”

I agree that dark gray would have worked better for these edge lines. I can easily change “always back” in LDView to be “usually black”. I played around with the settings a bit, and with r * 30 + g * 59 + b * 11 <= 3600 as my threshold for switching the black edge lines to dark gray, I get the following:

Notice that there are some fairly dark colors that still have black edges, and to my eye, they’re just light enough for the black edges to still have enough contrast. The dark brown at the far end had black edges with a threshold of 3500, and that was not quite enough contrast. With 3600 the above looks good to me. The real question is, should I change “Always black” in LDView to do this. Thoughts?

I could add yet another setting, but I’d rather not do that. If I do make the change, I’ll have it look for a color named “Dark Gray Edge”, and use that if it’s found, so if someone really wants all black edges, they can add “Dark Gray Edge” to their ldconfig.ldr file. (One new feature in LDView 4.0, is that the “Always black” edges use the color named “Black Edge” if that’s present in ldconfig.ldr.)

--Travis