 Trains / 30116
Re: Maryland & Pennsylvania RR NW2 Diesel Switcher #81
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:01:41 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Cale Leiphart wrote:

Maryland & Pennsylvania NW2 Diesel Switcher #81

Originally formed in 1901 from several narrow gauge lines, the now standard gauge Maryland & Pennsylvania RR railroad (Ma & Pa to its fans) traced a meandering seventy-seven mile route to connect Baltimore Md. and York Pennsylvania, two cities only forty-five highway miles apart. The line’s surveyors could hardly have chosen a more picturesque route and was often referred to as the “model railroad built to the scale of 12 inches to the foot”.

The Ma & Pa like many railroads began to dieselize it line with the purchase of an EMD SW1 #70 and 2 EMD NW2 Switchers #80 and 81. The switchers suited the Ma & Pa’s tight curves well and served for many years. In 1997 NW2 #81 was donated to the The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and is the subject of my latest Train MOC.

Okay, so I was just scrolling down through the images and thinking to myself, “hum, nice interpretation of an nw/sw switcher” until I saw what you have under the hood. Wow! It is hard enough getting the right detail on the outside of a 4-8 wide hood, to then get such a realistic engine under the hood too! Well, I guess it goes along with your bay window caboose for being over the top inside and out.

Only one minor suggestion- the hand rails seem too bulky. Perhaps using the hose for the vertical and mech-arms for the horizontal would lighten it up?

And one minor request- more photos of the prime mover so others can cop... I mean marvel at the detail (grin).

Very nice,

Benn