 Trains / 30110
Re: Maryland & Pennsylvania RR NW2 Diesel Switcher #81
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 01:21:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Peter Edwards wrote:
   Nice work Cale. The extra detail of the engine really sets it off, probably because of the contrast between black and grey.

Thanks And the contrast certainly helps.

   It has more than likely been answered here many times before but how did you make the decals?

For the decals I started out by creating the art work in MS paint. Paint is simple to use and I don’t have access to any of the high end graphics programs. Then used MS word to create a decal sheet. In word you can move things around to maximize use of a decal sheet and resize them fit your MOC. I print my decals on my HP printer I have at home using matte white sticker paper I picked up at Staples. Because the paper is matte and LEGO is glossy I sprayed a few coats of Clear Gloss Polyurethane from Minwax on the decal sheet before cutting them out for a nice shine.

This was the first time I used the gloss spray and it seems to work well. I’ve been experimenting with water slide decals but have been having issues with the ink lifting of the edges of the decals. Even when srayed with a protective coating. I’d love to know if any one has some advise.

Cale