 Trains / 30087
Re: Any interest in high amp. Train controllers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 21:26:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
I was poking around looking at LM317 specs and can't seem to find the Max Vin.
What's the max Vin we can plug into the controller... I see old laptop "wall
warts" and inline "bricks" getting tossed all the time here at work.  If this
alone helps the controllers provide a more constant Vout I'd love to reclaim
some of these power supplies and use them to juice the controllers!

SteveB

Steve-

National gives the Absolute Maximum Value for Vin for the LM317 at 40V, but why
would you want to run that high for a load that's supposed to be limited to 9V?
You would waste of the extra power dissipation of the bigger device and get less
current out than the generic LEGO unit provides. The graphs show the maximum Vin
vs Vout dropout at 2.5V. A bigger differential wastes energy and unnecessarily
limits how much power can go to the load.

-Ted