 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17541
Re: Any interest in high amp. Train controllers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:56:44 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Cale Leiphart wrote:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
Hey all,
I have been looking for new ways to help out the community much like I do with
my custom track and I was wondering if there may be some interest in high amp
train controllers much like the ones some train clubs all ready use.

A stock Lego train controller uses an input of .7 amps and while this is
adequate for most, some have desired more power for there larger longer trains.
I have recently figured out how to both up the amperage to somewhere closer to
1.2amps while also keeping the controller cool so that it does not over heat.

Is this something that you would be interested in for around $65 a controller?

thank you for your input,
ondrew

As someone who has built some heavy locomotives I would be interested. What are
the main advantages of uping the amps?

Cale

Hi Ondrew,

More power sounds nice, but I'd be even more interested in a controller than can
run high-load trains all day (such as at a show) without running hot.  It sounds
like you're advertising this benefit as well, so I might be interested.

-Jordan

One of the big modifications I do is install a fan pointed directly at the
source of the heat but the neat thing is the speed of that fan adjusts to the
power setting of the controller while always spinning the correct way. I am also
going to be doing a few other small things but I do not want to give it all
away.

This fan should more than solve the over heating issue. The other big benefit of
higher Amps is you can run 4-6+ motors off one controller without issue. Now
granted I have some testing still to do but all looks good at this point.
OnDrew

p.s. yes, the fan is fairly quiet.