 Trains / 30081
Re: Any interest in high amp. Train controllers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:23:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
I was poking around looking at LM317 specs and can't seem to find the Max Vin.

I haven't worked with one in a while, but I know it'll take at least 36v in, and
the limit on power is basically whatever you can handle as far as heat
dissipation. So if you get the one in the big transistor-body package (TO-3, I
think?) and use a fat heatsink, you could run several amps through it. It helps
if the difference between input and output voltages isn't too high.