 Trains / 2961
Re: 4561 modifications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 03:58:32 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ...
Commuter: rolling stock built to freight/passenger railroad standards,
typically operates on freight right of way (ROW). Couplers typically
interoperate with freight/amtrak stock. Power is usually locomotive (diesel • or
electric) rather than self propelled cars. Often BiLevel in the west (west • of
the appalachians) becaues it can take advantage of freight railroad height
clearances. Can run as far out of the city as 60 miles. Typically have • ground
level entrances, often with high level vestibules. (saves building high • level
stations out in the boonies, all you have to do is pave alongside the • tracks.
Typically conductors collect fares after you board

There is also some commuter rail which is self powered, though I think
Budliners are getting rare. I used to ride these into Boston quite
frequently, but rode as recently as last Christmas. These days, sometimes
they are powered by a locomotive. I'm trying to remember if they even are
Budliners any more, they may be running coaches now, but I know I have seen
Budliner/locomotive lashups running on this line. It also used to be run by
the Boston and Maine separately from the T.

Rapid Transit: rolling stock built to specialty standards, somewhat smaller • and
shorter. Typically on owned ROW. The ROW is typically somewhat lighter than
freight standards and may have much sharper curves and tighter clearances.
Usually third rail electric powered. (NJ Transit runs some pantograph
selfpropelled cars, it's arguable whether they are commuter or rapid • transit)
This is what the mundanes refer to as the Subway or in Chicago, the El. All • of
the boston lines except Green would be considered Rapid Transit. Almost • never
bilevel. Can run up to 12 cars in a train. Cars typically paired with a • control
cab at each end. Typically don't operate as far into suburbia as Commuter.
Typically have ONLY high level entrances, all the platforms are at car
frame

level. Typically fares are collected on entrance to the station

I think they've changed it now, but the Blue line in Boston used to be a
combination of third rail and overhead. I think the chageover was after it
got out of the tunnel on the way to the airport from downtown. The
changeover was quite noticeable as the lights would flash.

Light Rail: This is what people used to call "street cars". Some examples:
Boston Green Line, Toronto street cars, San Jose Big Red Cars. Usually • single
car or paired. Look more like busses than any other type. Typically trolley
pole electric powered. can run on street trackage. ROW usually very very • light,
built to somewhat low engineering standards (not a lot of ballast, thin • weight
rails) hence the name "light rail" Typically have entrances at street level
with stairs. Typically have no conductors, you pay the motorman (or his • fare
box) as you board. (although Green Line varies depending on where you are)

METRA is the commuter authority/operator in Chicago (as SEPTA is in
Philadelphia, SEPTA is in Detroit, MetroNorth and LIRR are in NY and so on)

CTA is the El operator in Chicago.

Boston is interesting because it has all 3, and because one authority (the • T or
MTA) operates all three.

Yea, the T has a wide variety of equipment. They also run buses, and trolley
buses (electric buses powered by overhead wire like a trolley). Very wide
age range also. I remember when the Red line was extended to Quincy etc. and
they started operating new cars to Quincy, the old cars ran to Jamaica
Plains (if I'm remembering right - this is one of two terminii on the T that
I have never rode to, the other is the Green line terminus which goes to the
same place).

Boston also has a mishmash of subway, elevated, and light rail in the median
(I don't think they have any street trackage any more).

Most Bostonians also don't think of the Green line as being light rail since
it still operates into the subway system, but boy does it have some sharp
curves. There is a turn around loop just at the edge of Park Street station,
I think the radius is on the order of 50 feet. You hear a LOT of wheel
squealing.

The Green line used to be (and may still be) combination rapid transit and
light rail. North Station to Leachmere at least used to be rapid transit
with North Station also serving light rail (and actually serving two rapid
transit lines since the Orange line runs through North Station and
Haymarket). North Station is the terminus of the commuter rail for the north
and west of Boston, though you can now also change to rapid transit at
Porter Square.

Frank