 Trains / 2960
Re: 4561 modifications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 02:35:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Michael Perri writes:
You are talking about the Metra right?

Yes. Time for a little lesson:

Commuter: rolling stock built to freight/passenger railroad standards,
typically operates on freight right of way (ROW). Couplers typically
interoperate with freight/amtrak stock. Power is usually locomotive (diesel or
electric) rather than self propelled cars. Often BiLevel in the west (west of
the appalachians) becaues it can take advantage of freight railroad height
clearances. Can run as far out of the city as 60 miles. Typically have ground
level entrances, often with high level vestibules. (saves building high level
stations out in the boonies, all you have to do is pave alongside the tracks.
Typically conductors collect fares after you board

Rapid Transit: rolling stock built to specialty standards, somewhat smaller and
shorter. Typically on owned ROW. The ROW is typically somewhat lighter than
freight standards and may have much sharper curves and tighter clearances.
Usually third rail electric powered. (NJ Transit runs some pantograph
selfpropelled cars, it's arguable whether they are commuter or rapid transit)
This is what the mundanes refer to as the Subway or in Chicago, the El. All of
the boston lines except Green would be considered Rapid Transit. Almost never
bilevel. Can run up to 12 cars in a train. Cars typically paired with a control
cab at each end. Typically don't operate as far into suburbia as Commuter.
Typically have ONLY high level entrances, all the platforms are at car frame
level. Typically fares are collected on entrance to the station

Light Rail: This is what people used to call "street cars". Some examples:
Boston Green Line, Toronto street cars, San Jose Big Red Cars. Usually single
car or paired. Look more like busses than any other type. Typically trolley
pole electric powered. can run on street trackage. ROW usually very very light,
built to somewhat low engineering standards (not a lot of ballast, thin weight
rails) hence the name "light rail" Typically have entrances at street level
with stairs. Typically have no conductors, you pay the motorman (or his fare
box) as you board. (although Green Line varies depending on where you are)

METRA is the commuter authority/operator in Chicago (as SEPTA is in
Philadelphia, SEPTA is in Detroit, MetroNorth and LIRR are in NY and so on)

CTA is the El operator in Chicago.

Boston is interesting because it has all 3, and because one authority (the T or
MTA) operates all three.

When you said Chicago Commuter I automatically thought METRA.

I never thought of building that
and I might have enough windows to do it too.  What I was talking about were
the elevated trains. They are like subway trains like from "Money Train"
or "Mercury Rising".

Or the Sandra Bullock/Bill Pullman, "while you were sleeping". She's a token
seller for the CTA. Did you know that Oprah's building is in that movie? It's
the only building east of LSD that people live in unless you go very far north
or south.

But I digress. You will have a hard time building El cars from 4561, or from
any other set, for that matter, unless you have a lot of other parts. The
center door between cars will be tough to simulate.

++Lar