 Trains / 29298
Re: How much does a weight brick weigh?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 06:45:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Martin Srb wrote:
This reply may be useless for you since you got the weight brick, but it can
be useful for those who don't have any:
Brick 2x4 is not the ideal part for adding weight because it's hollow. Plates
have definitely more ABS per volume unit. 24 plates 1x1 have the same
dimensions as 1 brick 2x4, but they weigh more than double weight of it
(according to Bricklink). Nevertheless, the amount of plates 1x1 needed to
counterweight the weight brick would still occupy about 4x more volume than
the weight brick.

Oh, I had no intention of using 2x4 bricks to add counterbalancing weight
(unless, of course, they were magnet bricks).  They just happened to be handy
for a weight estimate, but using them permanently would have caused some of the
same clearance problems that were originally solved by cantilevering much of the
weight off one side...which is why I needed the weight bricks in the first
place.  So basically that would have just been a costly way to put myself back
where I started.

Anyways, if I'd needed a touch more weight than what these two weight bricks
provided, I had intended to start adding plates, but I have to admit that I'd
kind of been thinking in terms of 2x4 plates, not 1x1 plates, which I can see
would clearly be heavier (well, as much as you can get with relatively
lightweight ABS plastic).

The important thing right now is that I got two weight bricks, they did the
trick, and I don't currently see a need to keep adding mass (though this may
prove wrong by the end of the month).