 Trains / 29247
Re: Santa Fe B-Unit: OK or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:47:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
I think someone is showing some of my work at BrickShelf.  Other folk have this
happen, too?

My original work with the graphic assistance of Jeroen de Haan:

And a re-use and organization of the same images (I think) by Train417:

It's a nice re-organaization of the instructions.  I guess I have some concern
that the pics were taken, but I'm not that bothered by it.  Maybe it will call
attention to the design again, and get others inspired to build it or build
their own versions...again...as the B-Unit is a bit of an aging project-- old to
many, but still fresh to newcomers.

Just wondering what you all think?

Thanks.

later,
James Mathis

If I were you I would contact ebay.  Send them the pictures that you have and
let them know that you want it taken off.  I had several needlepoint designs
copied and kits were being sold on ebay.  I had a copyright on them and because
they zeroxed the insturctions ebay took them off.
One point though, can brick designs be copyrighted?  Copyright law is very
complex.  Offering them to the public on Bricklink just might cause a copyright
not to exsist.  You offer them to inspire and if someone is inspired to build it
they might have the right to sell it.  One strange thing, in the US if you win a
copyright suit there is $5000.00 starting point on damages.
After all of this I would tend to say that the designs are not copyrighted.  It
is immoral to offer these up without an explaination and generally in bad taste.
(If you build a Lego set, say Hogwarts castle and sell it, Lego has no rights to
that set even though it is their design.)
Good luck, at least the forger has very good taste, your designs are great.
John P