 Trains / 29210
29209  |  29211
Subject:
Very Rare 1966 Retailer LEGO Train Brochures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:13:14 GMT

I've had a collection of 5 MINT train brochures, all from 1966, that I got in
Germany in 1980, and had them stored away and forgot about them ever since.

Well recently I came across them again, along with a note I wrote at the
time (with my discussions with the retailer). It seems that these 5 items
were supplied to Lego retailers early in 1966 to answer questions for LEGO
customers about the new 4.5V LEGO Train system (blue track era) that came into
production in May 1966.

Now that I brought these brochures and booklets out of hiding, I checked
Bricklink to see if they were in the inventory. Surprisingly I did find 4 out
of 5 of these items.

It seems that TLG produced extra Instructions for some sets as retailer
information (why re-invent the wheel?).

So here is what the Geman Retailer items that I have includes:

1) 8 page foldout instructions for Motor Set #100 (1966), but in German:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?I=100-1

2) 4 page instructions for the first Lego Locomotive #112, no language:
http://www.peeron.com/scans/112-2/

3) 16 page (stapled) Train Ideas Booklet. This unnumbered booklet (no
writing) was not found in any LEGO catalog, which leads me to believe that it
was meant as a retailer booklet, possibly to show building ideas to the
customers. It could also have been given complimentary to LEGO customers who
purchased some of the larger train sets.

4) A 4 page brochure that appears to have been the instructions for #153 train
flatbed waggon. It also has the numbers 112 and 113 on the front, although it is
not certain that it was ever included in those 2 train sets. This folder shows
how and how not to use the (1966-68) "hook" couplers for train coupling.
http://www.peeron.com/scans/153-1/1
http://www.peeron.com/scans/153-1/2

5) A Lego Motor "GARANTIESCHEIN" (German Warranty Certificate), that has a
detatchable postcard to register your train motor, in case of defects or non-
fuctioning motors. This 4 page card was likely included with all 1966-68 sets
that had a "sealed" train motor. In 1969 new LEGO motors were introduced that
had opening housings so as to allow replacement motors to be inserted. No
photo found in Bricklink or Peeron. The closest type of photo I could find was
this one from a 1976 (10 years later warranty card, which looks much different):

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/97680

The brochure numbers of these 5 items are 3129, 3142, 3166-Ty, 3231 and 3249-Ty,
which dates these exactly to 1966, first year of LEGO Trains

These 5 LEGO items are available as a group, and are in mint condition. These
were the first LEGO Train paper items ever produced (all from 1966), and likely
predated the May 1966 release of the first LEGO trains, so that LEGO retailers
could familiarize themselves with LEGO trains. This was to help answer LEGO
customers questions.

Selling all 5 rare historic LEGO train items from the first year of LEGO trains
(1966) in mint for only $100.

For a picture of the lot, please EMAIL me:  istokg@earthlink.net

Cheers,
Gary Istok

P.S.  The group also comes with a yellow retailer plastic folder (with 4 LEGO
bricks on the front), although it is not certain that it originally came with
the brochures.