 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17431
Re: Very Rare 1966 Retailer LEGO Train Brochures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:46:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

So here is what the Geman Retailer items that I have includes:

1) 8 page foldout instructions for Motor Set #100 (1966), but in German:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?I=100-1

2) 4 page instructions for the first Lego Locomotive #112, no language:
http://www.peeron.com/scans/112-2/

3) 16 page (stapled) Train Ideas Booklet. This unnumbered booklet (no
writing) was not found in any LEGO catalog, which leads me to believe that it
was meant as a retailer booklet, possibly to show building ideas to the
customers. It could also have been given complimentary to LEGO customers who
purchased some of the larger train sets.

4) A 4 page brochure that appears to have been the instructions for #153 train
flatbed waggon. It also has the numbers 112 and 113 on the front, although it is
not certain that it was ever included in those 2 train sets. This folder shows
how and how not to use the (1966-68) "hook" couplers for train coupling.
http://www.peeron.com/scans/153-1/1
http://www.peeron.com/scans/153-1/2

5) A Lego Motor "GARANTIESCHEIN" (German Warranty Certificate), that has a
detatchable postcard to register your train motor, in case of defects or non-
fuctioning motors. This 4 page card was likely included with all 1966-68 sets
that had a "sealed" train motor. In 1969 new LEGO motors were introduced that
had opening housings so as to allow replacement motors to be inserted. No
photo found in Bricklink or Peeron. The closest type of photo I could find was
this one from a 1976 (10 years later warranty card, which looks much different):

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/97680

Gerhard,

I've got French versions of some of these items on one of my scan pages at
http://bubba.ucdavis.edu/~gal/hobbies/lego/legocats_pre1970.html

The brochure numbers of these 5 items are 3129, 3142, 3166-Ty, 3231 and 3249-Ty,
which dates these exactly to 1966, first year of LEGO Trains

I've got 3250-En, a UK pamphlet titled "This is a Lego Train", The same 3166-Ty
you have, and it's French counterpart 3166-Fr, the warranty card with mail-in
portion in French. You'll also find a rare 1966 Portuguese catalog.

Roy