 Trains / 29195
Re: Marking tracks and other Lego pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 00:33:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Patrick Bégin wrote:
What are the best way to mark the various items (baseplate, 9v tracks, etc) when
you do a display with many contributors ?

I found this post : http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/novalug/?n=11

Maybe you have other ideas ?  What are the best pen, stickers or "stuff" we can
use to mark ?

Every one in WAMALTC marks their track pieces on the bottom with a marker,
paint, other permanent means, using a unique pattern of coloring in the circles
or outside the circles.  Our patterns have become so distinct that other members
are able to tell track at first sight. Most of our large layouts involve several
members. Generally we use our track in a defined area but track can be
intermingled. We do have t o turn the track over, but it is done as we
disconnect the track.  Some of our members prefer to pack their track in
sections of three and other in sections of two.  We have gotten so use to our
habits that we know how to pack the containers and store the pieces used in the
layout.

We have never really had a problem and if track is later found orphaned, it can
returned to the owner at a later date.  If someone is missing an item after a
show, a message is posted on the yahoo group site. Within a day the person that
has it will respond and let the owner know where it is located and makes
arraignments to return the parts to the owner. This system has worked for
several years (long before I started doing train shows) and I was impressed from
the start.