 Trains / 28599
Re: I have a dream...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:01:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote: (snip)
   One could say the post by Jeramy is nothing really new on the 6vs8 debate.

Yep, I wrote that as more of a generic article both for my club (who have only a few hardcore train guys) and for the general audience visiting our club website.

   But I have a dream. I’d like to buy 8-wide trains (or even 10 but not more) from TLC. Kind of “Desginer Trains” theme. Kind of trains that could be sold without tracks and motors, just to be displayed on a shelf as a static model. Kind of sets AFOLs could convert themselves to run them on tracks. Maybe these sets could be sold quite well to “regular” railroad modelers the same way TLC sells sets to non-AFOLs SW fans.

Well,

It’s a dream, maybe I should simply buy custom kits from AFOLs, and what I want to say is that I’m not sure it’s only a niche as Jeramy wrote.

Didier

I would love to see some UCS types of train models from LEGO. John Neal is starting to go 12 (14?) wide and a few others have made large models as well, such as Tim Gould: (This one is a monster!, I’d love to see it in real brick!):

And this from Eli Donati: http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=27938

MegaBloks has a nice UCS type of Steam Engine available (though I’ve never picked up a copy).

Perhaps we could organize a UCS train contest. Would train heads be up for a challenge?

-Jeramy