 Trains / 28552
Re: Hail to the Chief!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:14:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
   Seems that James Mathis and I were thinking along similar lines this past week. I, too, designed some streamliner cars of my own using the LEGO Factory parts palette, although I modeled mine on the “Metroliner” paint scheme rather than for the Super Chief train. I actually had no idea that James was doing some similar cars, and I hope that mine will not be seen as copies but rather as alternate approaches to the same challenge - developing convincing passenger cars for past LEGO trains using the Factory parts assortment.

Hi Jordan,

Your streamliner set in the AMTRAK livery is superb! Let everyone consider your build and design unique and impressive!

What a great way for both of us to coincidentally work on this concept at the same time.

   My cars include a “Superliner” double-decker car like what one might see on the California Zephyr, an ordinary passenger car with the rounded sides characteristic of Amtrak’s Budd-built cars, and a Vista-Dome car. (I didn’t know James Mathis was designing a dome car at the time; I actually like his design better than my own.) Where possible, roofs are removable and interiors are furnished. (The Vista-Dome car is unfurnished)

My coaches are barely furnished inside. All I did was throw in a few brown chairs-- nothing else. My dome car doesn’t even have an upper deck inside. My streamliner cars are mostly just for looks on the exterior, but the roofs do lift off-- but at what consequence to the build strength, I’m not sure.

I can’t see your detailed pics of the cars at Brickshelf, yet, but I am eager to see them up-close. A dome on a car is always tricky-- I’m not that keen on my solution.

   These cars could be used with a Metroliner set, but they really deserve a more fitting locomotive. So, I also worked up a LEGO Factory version of the Super Chief, but now it’s an Amtrak EMD FL9 locomotive pair. Although the FL9 lacks some of the beautiful specialized parts of the Super Chief set, I tried to be as faithful to James Mathis’ original design as possible given the parts available. With a little searching on Bricklink, one could probably find some specialized parts to make the LDD version even more like the original.

   Of course, much credit for this MOC is due to James Mathis for creating such an excellent and beloved locomotive design in the first place!

NOTICE!!! I am NOT the designer of the LEGO set 10020 Super Chief locomotive. I believe that official Master LEGO Designer Joern Thompsen designed set 10020. I designed only the Santa Fe Cars sets I and II, 10025 and 10022, and still, there the official Master LEGO Designers had a hand in the final product design.

That said, you have done a remarkable job on the locomotive!! Wow! That was to be my very next project-- in fact in that AMTRAK livery. Now, I don’t have to do it-- you’ve done an excellent job.

   And now, the results:

All models should be available for purchase through my LEGO Factory page after moderation: http://factory.lego.com/gallery/?parameters=2||0eb3f502-fae0-493b-a9f9-1d846e451a49

Until then, you can view the models in detail on Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jordan/TrainFactory/

Comments welcome!

Thanks, Jordan

I think you got a fantastic train that I hope a lot of people take a very close look at. Maybe we’ll see this showing up on a lot of club or personal home layouts? I hope so.

later,

James Mathis