 Trains / 27984
Re: The inevitable leap into 10-Wide Trains...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 22:39:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Daniel Siskind wrote:
   Having been building at to a scale of 1 stud (1 brick width) = 1 foot for (approx 1:35 scale) the better part of the last 2 decades, I decided it was past time to upgrade my trains to the same scale. With several years experience building 8-wides for the GMLTC, it wasn’t too difficult to make the migration to the next, bigger thing. I’m nearly finished with my first locomotive, a GP-40 in Burlington Northern colors, and I can’t resist posting some preliminary photos. I hope to have a complete 10-wide train running around the Christmas Tree this year... to view some photos of progress so far, go here:

http://www.brickmania.com/10_wide_1/index.htm

Pictures of the actual locomotive are here:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=10313

Of course the new scale is incredibly time and parts consuming, so it will probably be another couple of years before anything close to a displayable layout is finished... Will post more later!

Excellent Daniel! Nice to find a kindred spirit as I’m also an 8mm scale train builder (since 1996). http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=62749

I started from the other end - trains first, then scenery. I aim for the scale given by a LEGO track gauge of 37.8mm and real gauge of 1435.1mm, but allow some licence because anything more accurate than the nearest 6” probably takes so much work that the model might never be finished! Consequently some of my British trains might be based on an 8-wide body when 9-wide would be better for a 9’3” wide loco, but I reserve the right to improve the models later :-)

Having built a fleet of 8+ wide UK trains to 8mm scale, I was considering 10+ wide models for US trains in the same scale (e.g. boxcar 10’5” wide = 10 + 1 plate SNOT). I got as far as a 10x53 base for an F7, expanding on the SF loco kit, as well as the chassis for a Shay with BBB wheels http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=147937 and a 4-8-4 Northern chassis experiment. I have the Model Railroader Cyclopedia books for the drawings, but all my US train thoughts are still at an early stage.

Most of my British diesels have a motor on each bogie, which works OK with a train of about 13 straights length behind the loco, but I can see how that arrangement on 10+ wide US locos is near the power limit. Still, I guess you’ll be double or triple heading once you have more locos!

For some rakes of wagons I’ve replaced magnet pairs with thin 5L liftarms, since the magnets can get too weak to pull heavy trains.

Will you be spacing all your curves out with straights and removing switch point levers to improve clearance?

I like the flexibility of the larger scale, which allows for more detail in the trains, sometimes as much as in OO or HO scales. Since that level of detail is possible with the trains, I’m currently rebuilding my large layout http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=77382 , which I was exhibiting in the UK, so that the scenery is up to the same standard. My small layout http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=77383 , which served as a test bed to prove the trackbed concepts, is still ready to show in the meantime. The new large layout will have trackbed, sloping track, modules,... http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=178209 . As well as the trains taking longer to build, the layout takes longer to build too, probably another 5 years for mine!

I look forward to seeing more of your trains.

Mark