 Trains / 27967
Re: The inevitable leap into 10-Wide Trains...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:20:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Daniel Siskind wrote:
   Having been building at to a scale of 1 stud (1 brick width) = 1 foot for (approx 1:35 scale) the better part of the last 2 decades, I decided it was past time to upgrade my trains to the same scale. With several years experience building 8-wides for the GMLTC, it wasn’t too difficult to make the migration to the next, bigger thing. I’m nearly finished with my first locomotive, a GP-40 in Burlington Northern colors, and I can’t resist posting some preliminary photos. I hope to have a complete 10-wide train running around the Christmas Tree this year... to view some photos of progress so far, go here:

Hey, Dano!

Long time. Ah, 10 wide. Reminds me of the very first loco I started to build with GMLTC bricks (never completed). It was a 10 wide BN as well.

Well, yours looks terrific-- just keep those smallish wheels shielded. Now, another problem that frustrated me way back then was the proximity of the motor wheels to each other. They only really looked good as a three axle to me.

Now, let me tell you about my next big thing (in the works)-- 12 wide! It is almost identical to Gauge 1 (1:32). In fact, it will be my plan to utilize G scale track, trucks and motors, with the rest being LEGO. Sound intriguing?.....:-)

I would have liked to remain ALL LEGO, but even at 8 wide, the motors simply aren’t powerful enough to pull a decent load. And the whole issue of the demise of 9 volt has sealed the deal for me. The TCLTC will still keep our 8 wide layout, but I have been long into planning out a larger layout as well (perhaps garden layout). I have one really nice large brown building completed (2 years ago), and a Gunderson Husky Stack container car (on which I modeled my 8 wide versions) that uses G scale trucks, as well as a Spamcake Diner car that uses G scale passenger car trucks (3 axle). But I have yet to post pics of any of these so far. Anyway, I did some research into G scale motors and have come to believe that NWSL produces the best motors. My plan is to build a 12 wide SD-40 (either Soo or Milwaukee Road) next.

What I like best about this scale is that I can still use minifigs-- they scale out to about 4’ tall, so their natural dwarfish appearance looks just right! Jack Stone is about the correct scale for an average person; a Belville child (as an adult) works as well.

So what do you think? Wanna go Garden rail? Heck, I thought that it would be cool to build a 12 wide train using G scale motors and run them in Hudson!

Good to hear from you and see that you are still building!

J-2