 Trains / 27989
Re: The inevitable leap into 10-Wide Trains...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:27:03 GMT

Sounds like we have a lot of building experiences in common. Most of the obstacles to large scale train modelling are familiar to me, since I’ve been working on GMLTC’s 8-wide layout for the past five years or so. We found that the weakness of Lego’s magnets can be overcome by adding some of strong wafer magnets in between their couplers. We’re lucky in that a local store chain called Target has been selling them dirt cheap lately. During the last outing of the GMLTC I was present at, we ran a train with two locomotives (2 motors each) hauling 13 8-wide freight cars (for a train almost 20 feet in total length) for about 5 hours before having to give the motors a rest. GMLTC’s layout has a grade of 1 plate per 16 studs through most of it, so that’s quite a workout for those tiny motors!

By the way... I like the buildings in the lower portion of this picture:

Cheers!

Dan