 Trains / 27982
Re: Train station on Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:22:36 GMT

Hi Jonathan, Tim

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   rambling rant!
That is simply the best lego layout I have seen.

Thank you so much for your kind words. The three of us involved (Jeff Brundige, Paul Donis and myself) were indeed trying to push the envelope a bit on previous ParLUGment train displays. We hoped to create something that had a natural-looking contryside (with some plausible rise and fall in elevation, inspired-by-nature plant life and a colour palette that at least considered real life... :) ), something that represented a specific time and place, and something that was detailed to as high a standard as we could manage.

The design was inspired a lot by British trends in small model railway design. The basic design seed was mine, but both Paul and Jeff played huge roles in influencing what we wound up putting on the table. For instance, they’re responsible for the very impressive trees.

I worked on a rather smaller scale (saplings and bushes... :) ) on my own modules, but I’m rather proud of my little pond and overgrown trail:

   It really has a great feel to it, I agree. I have found this gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=210461

Where it shows how the modules are assembled. (The pictures are large and take a little time to load)

I’m glad someone else found that set of images interesting - Paul took them as a reference/record for us as we were disassembling the layout, since the individual modules will mostly be torn apart pretty rapidly.

If anyone has questions about aspects of the layout, I’d be happy to try and answer them. In any event, thanks again for the kind reception. It makes staying up all night the night before the show even more worthwhile! ;)

Best regards,

Norbert Black