 Trains / 27761
27760  |  27762
Subject:
New MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.build.schleim
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:41:56 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Just posted some new MOC pictures:  Coaches to extend my Hogwarts Express,
Hopper Wagons with SNOT lettering and my station building.

Coaches here:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=199421  including
pictures of the underside and bogies.  These are 8mm:1ft scale British Mk1
coaches in the scarlet colour specified in the HP books (a bit lighter than the
paintwork of the train in the film).  One is a second normal coach and the other
a brake coach.  They could do with door hinges on coaches 2 and 3 (though they
don't open regularly on coach 1 anyway) and 1x3 curved slopes on the roof,
though the vents would have to move.  My layout would not accommodate a fourth
coach, four being the number used in the film, though for a school of 600
children where more than half arrived on the train four would not be enough!
(See JKR interview linked from wikipedia).

Hoppers here:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=199422  including
pictures of hopper door opening, underside, SNOT lettering (inside support too)
and end canopies.  These hoppers each reliably unload 1400 1x1 round plates.
I'd like to think they're what the hopper kit could have been if cost and market
were no object!  They're 8mm:1ft scale models of real hoppers on British tracks
that drop ballast for tracklaying.  I now have a rake of 5, just like the real
train.  Some possible improvements listed in the info file.

Station building here:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=199429
including module separation, inside the cafe and kitchen.  This is based on a
British station building for a 2-platform branch line station.  Machynlleth
station in Wales is an example of the style I was trying to capture.  It was
after a visit there on holiday that I built the MOC.  A real British station
building would more likely be tan or white, but it stands out well against the
trains and scenery.  I particularly like the roof, the inner corners being the
product of some tiger mosaic frames!

Also some picures of my train-over-train layout building.  This is a prototype
build to see how things measure up on one corner of the layout.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1953731  The slope develops from
both tracks being flat where the locos are, through 1 in 80 at the top (0.5
plate per piece using SNOT inside) and 1 in 40 on the curves (1 plate per piece)
to 1 in 30 on the straight (1 plate per 12 studs length), which is getting near
the maximum slope on a real British railway.

PLMKWYT

Mark