 Trains / 27665
Re: New MOC: Polar Express pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:53:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:

<snip me>

   Ahh, finally it’s moderated. You and your son made some interesting choices; our two trains share a lot in common, but have a lot of differences, too.

Hey, Anthony-- I was hoping you’d chime in! It is always interesting to see how others tackle the same problem. It was really fun seeing your version (and 8 wide as well:-) and ours.

   First and foremost, I can see that you went with the blue and red color scheme for the cars. I spent a lot of time wrestling with that idea because I thought it was such a horrid color combination. I was under the impression from the movie that the cars were a sand green color, and only looked blue because of the ambient lighting, but the lionel train is blue and red as well, which really confused me. That is until I saw this picture:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/2004/polar/polar4.jpg

Which to me makes me think the cars are in fact green and red, and just the ambient blue lighting from the snow and general cold-ness of the scenery made it look otherwise. Since my train was going to do double duty as a layout train as well as a Christmas decoration for my wife, the red and green colors worked out for the best for me.

That’s funny about the horrid color combo-- someone actually mentioned that to me about mine:-) I’m not particularily fond of it, but I just figured that that’s the way it was, so that’s the way I was going to make it. Interestingly, I never got the impression that the PE was green, although that would make perfect sense. I did base most of my decision on the colors used by Lionel. I like your idea that the red/green train of yours doubles as a Christmas train; you will be getting a lot of milage out of it in the coming years:-)

   I also see that you went with a thinner upper roof section on your cars, and with those brick built, thinner windows, it looks a lot longer than my versions.

Yeah, deciding the dimensions was really tough. I changed my mind more than once during the build. I did latch onto the same number of windows as in the movie based on the double-stacked 1x2 trans-yellow brick-- everything else flowed from those dimensions.

   As for the locomotive itself, I never looked at the movie. I only looked at the real Pere Marquette #1225 - simply a personal choice of mine. There are, in fact, several differences between the real engine and what the makers of the movie created (grey versus black drive rods, for example).

Ah, as for the loco, Ross built entirely from schematics and photos (Erie 3389) in the MR Cyclopedia and not the movie. The movie was utilized solely for the coaches. I didn’t even know that it was actually based on Pere Marquette 1225 (we just went by what the kid rattles off in the movie). Perhaps Ross will make some adjustments in light of this new info if we can get some good pics from which to work.

   Ross certainly went into far more detail than I with all the pipes and hoses over the boiler, as well as the extra hardware around the pistons. How did he overcome the technic pin on top of the motor under the firebox? Did he use it to attach the motor to the locomotive?

Hmmm. I need to consult him; I’ve no idea.

   So how much does it overlap curved rails while it’s running? I’ve been browsing brickshelf trying to get a glimpse of it and only saw one ‘action’ picture goirng through a curve. It looks as if the cab swings much more than the nose of the locomotive.

I do know that the front pilot wheels float-- that was so he could get good proximity to the piston cyclinder.

   Anyway - good job! It’s great to finally see it (mostly) finished.

Thanks, I’ll pass along the props and find out how he did what he did. I need to get the decals made so we can take some decent pictures.

JOHN