 Trains / 27675
Re: New MOC: Hogwarts Express
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:02:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Salm wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, John Neal wrote:

But for the time being, enjoy these, and get ready for some _dark red_
Hogwarts Express ones coming soon:-)

[JOHN]

Well, hurry up with the Dark Red Hogwarts Express.  It's a gorgeous train.

I was just hunting around online and did not find any good shots.  Apparently
the train always missed the cameras at last week's Philly show.

__Kevin Salm__
LUCNY

Are you sure the Hogwarts Express is dark red?

I know many preserved Mk1 coaches are dark red (maroon) in the UK, but for the
films the engine was painted bright red instead of its usual green (ruffling a
few feathers in the rail enthusiast community!), so a different shade for the
coaches is not surprising.

From the photos I've found on Google, shades of coaches seem to vary, though all
of them are lighter than the usual maroon colour of many preserved Mk1 coaches.
This indicates that there might be more than one set of coaches used either in
the film or for tourist trips.  It might be that the rake of coaches used in the
films will be kept separate, unused by the public, till the last film is
finished, as it would save wear and tear.  One of the photos I found is for
advertising trips, so the colour might have been tweaked artificially.

Most of the photos show a shade of red similar to the engine, some a little
darker but not maroon.  It varies a bit with the lighting conditions of each
picture.  If it's nearer red than dark red it could save you a packet in dark
red parts!

Here's my red version (64ft long plus buffers in 8mm scale):

I must take some better pics, perhaps when I make some more coaches.  I'll make
another standard coach and a brake coach.  I won't have room on the layout for a
4th coach.

Mark