 Trains / 27562
27561  |  27563
Subject:
Wear out patterns in LEGO train motors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:00:38 GMT

So... through NELUG, I have been involved in the Millyard project in the
SEE Science Center in Manchester, NH. The other day, we took one of the
engines off the track, and removed it's dead motor. The motor had died
because the springs had failed (no real surprise there). The motor was
the leading motor on a 4 car train, and the springs on one side of the
motor had failed. The trailing motor on the engine was fine.

Since I had this one data point (springs on one side of leading motor
failed before the springs on the trailing motor failed) I began to
speculate wildly, as any good scientist would... right? Here are the
questions...
Do leading motors on two motor engines fail more quickly than trailing
motors? (The folks at the science center had no information about which
motors were failing.)
If they do, would we be better off putting an unpowered truck in the
lead, follow that with a powered trailing truck, and a powered tender?

Chris
--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/

Learn about brittle bone disease