 Trains / 27569
Re: Wear out patterns in LEGO train motors...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:17:25 GMT

Mark Bellis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
So... through NELUG, I have been involved in the Millyard project in the
SEE Science Center in Manchester, NH. The other day, we took one of the
engines off the track, and removed it's dead motor. The motor had died
because the springs had failed (no real surprise there). The motor was
the leading motor on a 4 car train, and the springs on one side of the
motor had failed. The trailing motor on the engine was fine. • [...]

If the trailing motor was slightly faster than the leading motor, it would have
pushed the leading motor harder into the curves, thus compressing the springs on
the outer flanges more, leading to premature failure.

When making a 2-motor engine, I run any unused train motors I have round a large
oval layout (all facing the same way round) and see which ones are fastest by
swapping them when one catches up with another.  I also test that they will all
bunch up in reverse and then separate when going forwards again.  When they are
all in order of speed, I pick two of similar speed and put the slightly faster
one at the front. • [...]

Mark

Mark,

   Good suggestion, but I don't know if it will work for us. The display
is at a museum, and I don't know if that is something that the staff
would be willing to do.

Chris
--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/