 Trains / 27556
Re: Latest track features and layout module developments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:00:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:

I have Cyril Freezer's book "The Model Railway Design Manual", among others,
which has a table of loading gauge measurements in the back.  As a minimum I use
double the OO gauge measurements, though I increase the width clearances on
curves to 5 studs from the sleeper ends as there are some big overhangs on
trains like my Pendolino due to the sharp curves.  Other than that, it's about
37 plates high above the rail for overbridges, so I set the trank-over-track
height to 48 plates to leave enough depth for a strong bridge.  I made my
station platforms 20 studs wide so that the stairs can be 8ft wide with 6ft each
side, the minimum distance between a wall and the platform edge, as specified in
the table.  I leave the platform edge at 6 studs from the track centre as the
steam trains have rods a little outside the ideal width - I went for
functionality over pure scale adherence as moving rods look good.

OK, very good information.  Thanks.

One of my
locos won "Best Modern Image Exhibit" at a show, beating all the OO and other
exhibits!

That is very good indeed.

In case you didn't look around my trains gallery, here's the link to the whole
trains section: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=62749

I will go take a look at that.

Thanks,
   Dave