 Trains / 27553
Subject:
Latest track features and layout module developments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:10:59 GMT

Here are pictures of LEGO representations of the TPWS and AWS train protection
systems used in the UK, which use equipment mounted between the rails:

In both cases I've used translucent orange wands, in the absence of opaque ones,
to represent the cable conduits that connect the equipment to the trackside
cubicles.

Also my latest railway layout module, a fiddle yard point module:

This requires composite beams to be made from 2xn plates, in order to carry the
weight of the station, which sits on top, over places where no stanchions can be
used due to the train needing the space as it travels over the points.  I'll be
using several modules like this one in the fans of points in the fiddle yard of
my new layout.

I've used a monkey motor to switch the points, as it should be more reliabile
than a mod to the point slider and a micro-motor:

The gearing works well, so that the clutch gear doesn't slip till the point has
changed.  I have to work on reliabiity of fixing the gear frames down to the
point lever frame as i can currently prize itself off after a few overshoot
operations.

There's plenty of space in the module where the mechanism is, so no need to
squash it, and I can keep it well away from the track to maintain 8mm scale

PLMKWYT!

Mark

Re: Latest track features and layout module developments
[...]

Very interesting.  Thanks to the fact that for 4 or so years I've been studying
a foreign language: "British model railway terminology", I actually understood
your post!  Ha ha!

Anyway, I'm totally new to Lego 9V trains, but have been doing some British
outline in 00 scale.  I take it that you use a scale of 8mm/ft for British
outline stock?  What does the loading gauge work out to as measured by studs?

-dave (Just a Yank with C.J. Freezer's book.)

[...]

Yes, it's 8mm:1ft scale.  There aren't many people building to that scale with
LEGO though, as 6-wide trains remain popular and require fewer bricks, with
8-wide attracting a reasonable following.  My trains end up 8+ wide for British
prototypes, some, like a Class 50 diesel loco would ideally be 9-wide, so I
should rebuild those with lots of jumper plates.  If I built American trains
they would be 10+ wide as a boxcar is about 10'5" wide.

I use generous proportions for the loading gauge because the standard LEGO
curves are so sharp.  I space out the curves with straights, 1 straight between
each curve for 80ft radius and 2 for 120ft radius, though 6 for 250ft radius
would be nice if I had the space as that's the tightest curve on a British main
line.  2 seems to work well at shows, in conjunction with the bogie centres of
locos, as the oscillation isn't too bad.

I've kept the LEGO standard 16ft between track centres as to shrink it to 12ft
on a whole layout would take a lot of effort, not just a few shortened
straights!

I have Cyril Freezer's book "The Model Railway Design Manual", among others,
which has a table of loading gauge measurements in the back.  As a minimum I use
double the OO gauge measurements, though I increase the width clearances on
curves to 5 studs from the sleeper ends as there are some big overhangs on
trains like my Pendolino due to the sharp curves.  Other than that, it's about
37 plates high above the rail for overbridges, so I set the trank-over-track
height to 48 plates to leave enough depth for a strong bridge.  I made my
station platforms 20 studs wide so that the stairs can be 8ft wide with 6ft each
side, the minimum distance between a wall and the platform edge, as specified in
the table.  I leave the platform edge at 6 studs from the track centre as the
steam trains have rods a little outside the ideal width - I went for
functionality over pure scale adherence as moving rods look good.

I tend to move the bogie centres around a bit to suit stable running of LEGO
locos with 6-wheel articulated bogies.  The motor is usually the outer 4 wheels,
with another pair articulated on the inside.  The motor bogie pivot attaches to
the body, lengthening the bogie centres by about 6ft.

By being built to 8mm scale, it has a lot in common with other model railways,
and has pleasantly surprised many model railway enthusiasts at shows.  One of my
locos won "Best Modern Image Exhibit" at a show, beating all the OO and other
exhibits!

The piece of trackbed I used for the TPWS and AWS equipment is 14-wide, though
most on my new layout will be 12-wide, as I see more 12ft wide trackbeds in
magazine pictures of real British railways.

In case you didn't look around my trains gallery, here's the link to the whole
trains section: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=62749

[...]

OK, very good information.  Thanks.

One of my
locos won "Best Modern Image Exhibit" at a show, beating all the OO and other
exhibits!

That is very good indeed.

In case you didn't look around my trains gallery, here's the link to the whole
trains section: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=62749

I will go take a look at that.

Thanks,
   Dave