 Trains / 27554
Re: Latest track features and layout module developments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:49:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
Here are pictures of LEGO representations of the TPWS and AWS train protection
systems used in the UK, which use equipment mounted between the rails:

In both cases I've used translucent orange wands, in the absence of opaque ones,
to represent the cable conduits that connect the equipment to the trackside
cubicles.

Also my latest railway layout module, a fiddle yard point module:

This requires composite beams to be made from 2xn plates, in order to carry the
weight of the station, which sits on top, over places where no stanchions can be
used due to the train needing the space as it travels over the points.  I'll be
using several modules like this one in the fans of points in the fiddle yard of
my new layout.

I've used a monkey motor to switch the points, as it should be more reliabile
than a mod to the point slider and a micro-motor:

The gearing works well, so that the clutch gear doesn't slip till the point has
changed.  I have to work on reliabiity of fixing the gear frames down to the
point lever frame as i can currently prize itself off after a few overshoot
operations.

There's plenty of space in the module where the mechanism is, so no need to
squash it, and I can keep it well away from the track to maintain 8mm scale

PLMKWYT!

Mark

Very interesting.  Thanks to the fact that for 4 or so years I've been studying
a foreign language: "British model railway terminology", I actually understood
your post!  Ha ha!

Anyway, I'm totally new to Lego 9V trains, but have been doing some British
outline in 00 scale.  I take it that you use a scale of 8mm/ft for British
outline stock?  What does the loading gauge work out to as measured by studs?

-dave (Just a Yank with C.J. Freezer's book.)