 Trains / 27557
27556  |  27558
Subject:
Save 9V Trains entry - how many more LDD hoppers do we need, anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:34:54 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

You may have seen my dark grey hoppers before. They’re a two-axle design. They are based on a real prototype, though I was inspired to do these after seeing some big ones at Legoland Windsor:

Dark Grey Hopper

Anyway, I tried doing this in LDD and was limited by the colour selection. Rooting round for an answer I came up with this rather fetching (though not so realistic) two-colour version using tan and black (click through for the factory design file):

Tan & Black Hopper

Shades perhaps of the 10017 My-Own-Train Hopper Wagon, although I like mine better :-) Sadly, inverted corner slopes are not available for the bottom corners.

The base is 6x18, the hopper body is 5-wide and it uses plates with rails around the top for a lip. There’s a mix of centre-stud ‘jumper’ plates and a 1x1 technic brick with a hollow stud used to fix the plates across the ends.

I’s meant to be taller than most open coal wagons, but not up to the full height of the engine like US hoppers or the semi-covered LEGO one.

There’s a good spread of SNOT bricks in black in there, and a few cheese wedge slopes too. Sorry the underside is a bit weak - I’d like to see if anyone can do a good structure there in LDD. It may look better with tiles on the sides and 1x2 tiles on the end like the original, but I couldn’t find the colour matches.

This is what the problem over getting 1x1 black plates out of LEGO Factory was all about. Thanks to Eric for using his contacts to sort it out. The response I got from LEGO Factory ‘Technical’ support was abysmal.

Jason R