 Trains / 27496
Re: Factory Train Contest Entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 13:58:46 GMT

--snip--
   As for all the Blood and Sweet talk, I generally agree but the software is still pretty new and some issues have been addressed. There are still a lot of issues, from parts that are extremely hard to work with (boggies) to the fact that the software itself requires a pretty hefty computer to run. I think the LDraw compatability is a big bonus but even that has some issues.

My hope is that now that part fulfillment is in place that they can concentrate on the usability of the software. • --snip-- -Eric

I doubt that LDD will ever be a truly powerful CAD software simply because it isn’t designed for power users. I very much doubt I will ever be able to build most of my designs using it simply because I often need very fine movement and need to get bricks to do things at many different angles usually in a small space. It’s not a particular lack of LDD provided it does what it is meant to well ie. provides a usable interface for children. And with ldraw input I have no need to worry about it anyway, I can use the more powerful CAD packages developed for the ldraw system. It is much like how a graphics designer won’t be using Photoshop Elements for work.

That said, it can certainly be improved upon from its current state and I’m sure it will be.

Tim