 Trains / 27494
Re: Factory Train Contest Entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 13:43:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
   What is the piece count? How many extra elements do you get? SteveB

In lugnet.announce.moc, John Neal wrote:
   My son Ross was messing around in the LEGO factory, and I encouraged him to submit his efforts to the contest, so here it is:

  • It is based loosely on his GP50

  • The color scheme is by necessity, not by prototype. Could be CP though.

  • The sticker price is rather shocking ($122.22 without motors!) Buy it (if you dare;-) HERE

I never really give much thought to how much MOCs eventually end up costing; now I think I know why;-)

JOHN

Hi Steve,

Following the provided link ;) I find 1067 parts and I assume there are no spare since it’s Factory on demand.

John,

Can one engine really have 1067 parts? Do all your engines have about 1000 parts? That is huge!

Yeah, between 8 wide and schleiming, the piece count tends to creep north...

   I think my three car Moscow Metro rake only has 1200 or so parts. Wow! I am so glad I build in the proper scale :P

So you don’t have to sell blood to afford your hobby? I see what you mean;-)

JOHN

BTW, it doesn’t cost anything to virtually build 8 wide....

Surely you have to pay in sweet and tears as well as the aforementioned blood to design in LDD. Mmmm... sweet LDraw converter :-)

Nice loco, pity you can’t get very good images off LDD to show it off better.

(Another) Tim

(My (four wheeled) tram has over 1000 parts)

I guess it’s easy to forget that the piece count goes up vaguely cubically. Since (8/6)^3=2.37 is about 1000/400=2.50 I guess the trains fit nicely to that rule. I suspect that in eight-wide you use less small plates as a fraction of the train but you add more greeblies etc. which makes up for it.

That said by my calculation you would only need about 100 pieces to scale your tram down but I suspect the greebling and other part counts count stay about the same after a certain point which flattens off the relationship... Have I ever mentioned before that I am a nerd?

Tim

PS. It is a nice loco, particularly given the part restrictions (insert rude comment about 8-wide here).