 Trains / 27222
Re: 9v Update (ILTCO's involvment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:27:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
ILTCO is operated under a democratic process. All 33
member clubs are equally represented and receive
communications at the exactly the same time thru the
mail lists. One of the six ILTCO goals was to provide
LEGO a single point of contact so that LEGO can make
announcements, sneak peek pictures, etc. and it would
reach all the clubs and in most cases the general
public at the same time...

But this is ILTCO's biggest problem.  It's only got one mailing list and it's
full of chatter; either trivial analysis or a few club members discussing
something and broadcasting it to all members.  That's why most people turn the
mailing off, because it's 99% irrelevant.  As a member, the only news I see from
ILTCO now is when another member posts it on LUGNET.

It has been for the last 3 years that the train topic
information flowed thru ILTCO out to the community. I
don't see us as being a bottle neck but rather a
conduit, which I hope you all agree with...

If you're looking for a simile I'd say it's more like a leaky tap that you can't
turn off, so you either get flooded or you have to go and turn it off at the
source...

What it needs is a proper discussion board you can dip into to look at what you
want, when you want.  And a separately controllable mailing list for official
news and announcements.

There are no "bounds" or jurisdiction as far as ILTCO
is concerned. ILTCO is made up of a collection of clubs
(Eric's included), so that we can have a central
repository for train related materials (www.ILTCO.org)
and a way to easily communicate with each other (in the
form of the Assembly mail list)...

But there is, of a sort.  The membership is largely all the American train
clubs, and a few others.  Its contacts were forged with Lego in the US.  To the
rest of the world (particularly those who don't primarily speak English), it's
just another club.

Do we need another train web site and discussion form
when there is Lugnet and www.ILTCO.org? I tend to think
that fragmenting sub-topics dilutes the message and lessens
the appearance of solidarity of the train AFOLs.

I'm not going to switch the mailing list back on to discuss this, and the linear
form of LUGNET would just get messy.  So, I say go for it.  If ILTCO had the
facilities for posting content other than a mailing list, people might use them
- but it doesn't.

* “Showing support for other forums will go a long way
to prove that ILTCO is not trying to rule the world of
LEGO Trains (an image that I know you are trying to
avoid).” - Jude Beaudin

ILTCO has 33 member clubs world wide (330 individual
members), all have voting rights and equal access to
posting messages, news items and articles on the web
site.  ILTCO is not trying to rule the world but rather
be the democratic hot spot in the center of the train
AFOL universe...  THIS IS AN IMAGE WE ARE TRYING
TO MAINTAIN!