 Trains / 27146
Re: 9v Train status report.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:55:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.announce, Eric Kingsley wrote:
   OK, we have been given a limited amount of information that we have been authorized to share. Now I am a fan first and Ambassador second so I am going to give you all the nuts and bolts first. After that I am going to break down each statement as I see it. Finally I am going to present an initial plan for how we, the fans can influance the fate of 9v trains.

Eric,

First and foremost -- thank you. This gathering and reporting of information is exactly the sort of thing I that I imagined the Lego Ambassador program would be useful for. This is also the first time that any ambassador has done something that makes me feel the program is useful. Again, thank you.

   First, what we have been authorized to release.
  1. LEGO is still finalizing the plan for what they call the LEGO Hobby Train which will be based on the current 9v system.

Some guesses: the “hobby train” will be parts sold separate from the motor, track and other components. This way, the hobby train concept will survive what i think is the inevitable demise of the 9V line within TLG .

  1. LEGO will continue to sell the current 9v system including the train motor, metal tracks and the speed regulator through LEGO Shop at Home and LEGO Brand Retail only, from mid 2006.
  2. In early 2007 the decision will be made – based on sales performance of the 9v system during the fall of 2006 – if LEGO will continue the 9v System with metal rails after 2007.
  3. LEGO will release more information about the “LEGO Hobby Train” project in August 2006 at the latest.

More guesses - the 9V line will not be self-supporting in the face of a new system that the overwheming majority of customers will want (the new IR train). Kinda like offering the old gray packs that slowly sold out, Lego will slowly sell out the remainders of the 9V line.

OK, so that is what we now know. Now here are my comments.
  1. I think the 9v line could be in serious jeopardy if we don’t do something before 2007. It is up to us the fans to save the line, we can’t just hope LEGO will save it themselves.
  2. One clear clue... In early 2007 the decision will be made – based on sales performance of the 9v system during the fall of 2006 So I think our first plan should be to try and make sure fall 2006 numbers are good. Don’t make a run on 9V train stuff now, if at all possible hold off until we have more information. I am trying to find out if we are hurting ourselves by buying now and not waiting until the fall.
  3. We cannot wait until August to find out what the plan for “LEGO Hobby Train” is. By that point it may be to late.

It’s not our job to make this work for Lego - if they have decided it won’t -- even if we buy masses of stuff, it won’t fly. If you want to buy parts while they are available, do so -- but please don’t do so in the hopes that it will make a difference (my opinion)

Personally, I think the writing is on the wall. The “hobby train” will not be based on the 9V line as we know it, though it may be compatible with it (as the IR system uses compatible parts too -- but the motor, track, speed regulators are history, IMO)

An effort at appeasement will be made by Lego (much like the gray parts packs) that will distribute the remaining stock of 9V stuff to whoever wants to buy it through S@H.

Well, at the least, the 9V line had a pretty good run. Fun while it lasted.

Again,thanks to Eric for stepping up and actually being an ambassador that provided results (even if they were not the results I was personally hoping for).

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@charter.net