 Trains / 27149
Re: 9v Train status report.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 02:04:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Troy Cefaratti wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Eric Kingsley wrote:

  1. In early 2007 the decision will be made – based on sales performance of the 9v system during the fall of 2006 – if LEGO will continue the 9v System with metal rails after 2007.

So, is LEGO going to actually have any 9v product available during this time to accurately guage the performance of said product? Or will it be just the remains of what they currently have, which most people already have.

It seems to me that it would be unfair to base the future of the 9v line on the current high speed train (the only full train set currently available), which IMO is one of the worst train sets ever made.

Also, do they plan on supporting the line at all? I keep hearing about this so-called lack of interest from retailers and consumers for the train line, but everytime we do a show, or every time I am at work (at a local toy store) the only comments I get are along the lines of “I didn’t know LEGO made trains” and then they buy some...

It seems to me that it is a lack of effort on the part of LEGO, not a lack of interest. The store that I work for originally started out as a LEGO Train retailer at the weekend train shows. The only thing keeping them from doing greater business is that it is next to impossible to get product out of LEGO. There have not been any full train sets available to them for months now.

This may depend on your interpretation of hobby train I guess.

I think the purchaser of sets will want the all plastic train and track.

I can’t recall the last train “set” I bought. But I have bought a lot of track, points, motors, track connectors and wheelsets. After all, the hobby is designing and building trains isn’t it? Not building Lego train sets.

So perhaps the hobby train supplies will include the aforementioned elements and not 9v sets. I don’t see lack of 9v sets equivalent to lack of support of the 9v train hobby.

JB