 Trains / 26208
26207  |  26209
Subject:
Adventurer's Train Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:08:33 GMT

About a year ago, I posted my Aventurer’s Train. While getting ready for an upcoming train show(1), I realized that Johnny and Pippin had vehicles for land and sea travel, but no air support.

This called for an addition. And so, the Canary was built.

Like the original train cars, I tried to go with something that fits the Adventurer’s theme, and has high playability. The Canary accomodates two passengers, plus a small amount of storage. The entire plane fits on a single six-wide flatbed car that matches the other cars in the train.

The basic problem with carrying a plane on a six-wide flatbed car is the wings. I solved this problem by placing the wings on hinges.

The next problem was the height of the wings. I solved this by allowing the wings to fold in half, thereby decreasing the amount of space needed for storage.

As seen in the photos, the exhaust ports also rotate to allow the wings to fold.

Also behind the exhaust ports are two doors that allow access to a small storage area. When the plane is not in use, Johnny and Pippin can keep their aviator helmets here.

This was another fun build. The plane is very shwooshable, and it looks great with the rest of the train.

The entire Brickshelf album: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=156037

Enjoy!

-Elroy

(1) For anyone in the Wilmington, MA area on December 17th/18th, come on out and join NELUG at Shriner’s Auditorium.