 Trains / 2593
Re: Ben's LEGO 4449 Daylight train.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:05:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jim Rorstrom writes:
<snip>
drive bars.  Would you be willing to share more details on your drive
mechanism?  What kit(s) do the drive wheels come from?

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks for the compliments.  I'm happy my design has inspired you.

The large drive can be found in such sets as:

They are used for the large fuel tank on the shuttle.

Each drive wheel is connected to the other by a five stud long technic plate
with holes on either end.  They are connected to the wheels with gray technic
pins.  While it does add one stud of width to either side, it doesn't look bad
at all.

Does that make it clear?

Oh, yes, one other detail.  Each side is identicial with the exception of one
side have the connecting arms attach points offset 90 degrees from the other
side.  But since you almost always see the engine from only one side you do
not notice it.  The 90 degree offset was/is used to allow the wheels to always
be in a position of a power stroke.

Ben.