 Trains / 24839
Re: lgauge.com update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:05:04 GMT

   In lugnet.trains, Tom Cook wrote:
   I finally got around to updating http://lgauge.com with some new train cars and structures.
... In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   I printed out your DCC page to read in bed and found it inspiring. I’m still in two minds whether I: A) need DCC, I’ve not got many trains I’m happy with yet B) go for LDCC or a proprietary system.

The LDCC route actually has a cheaper start-up cost even taking the cost of RCX bricks (especially V1) and appeals by being more ‘pure Lego’ but I also plan on some ‘real’ railway modelling in the future, once my loft has a floor and could use the DCC controller for that too. hmm, Decisions, decisions!

You mention that the auxilary output on the motor can be used for lights, I got the impression that this had a simple on/off control. Is the output DC or AC? Would if be possble to fairly simply modify your design to give changable headlight/taillights?

Tim,

depending on the decoder modual you buy, you can do a great deal with the light outputs. The output is usually open collector DC, with mutiple outputs having a common positive node.

Most decoders, and all current production units have the ability to program the lights on and off based on loco direction, as well as control from the remote. And there are a number special effects strobes that are avalible on many newer decoders.

I think the most commonly used decoders for Lgauge are the Digitrax DZ123 (two outputs) and the DZ143 (4 output) decoders. I recomend looking through the decoder manuals to see the functions avalible: http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/decodermanual.pdf

BTW, the best price I’ve seen for these decoders is at Flying Scotsman Hobbies: http://www.fshobby.com/digndec.html I’ve made several purchases without a hitch.

Mat