 Trains / 24787
Re: lgauge.com update (DCC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 02:40:08 GMT

I had a look at DCC mods for Lego train motors, but people seem to have used
N-gauge DCC decoders so that they can fit the decoder inside the motor
casing. This may be good from a space saving point of view, but I'm not sure
about the power ratings of the decoders.

James's current favorite: DZ 123.  1 Amp Continous, 2 Amp peak, 2 accessory
outputs, series 3 decoder...

Lego trains are up to four times the size of N-gauge in each direction,
that's  up to 64 times the weight, requiring 64 times the power to move them.
An N-gauge DCC unit won't be rated to 64 times a typical N-gauge load, so
surely Lego trains are overloading an N-gauge DCC module?

Not at all.  The lego motors are something like .3 Amp stalled, therefore they
are conservatively allowing a 1 A decoder lots of room.

I don't know what a 1A decoder would be like run at 1A for a long time, but
under some conditions there can be problems with them.  Above 35C or so, they
tend to trip on overtemp after 1/2 hr or so.

If you find it to be a problem, then I can see external mounting a DH decoder
(probably if Digitrax, a DH123...which has the same rated current...)

So, I'd just continue to use a N or Z scale 1A decoder inside the casing.

James

(I seem to remember the resistance of the motors to be around 33 Ohms...giving
about 360 mA draw, but don't hold me to it!)