 Trains / 24577
  clip on train motor

This train newbie discovered that one of the four "L" shaped clips on a train motor has broken off. (There are two forward and two aft) Is this critical? How is this clip used? (I still have the clip, and possibly could glue it back on but I am not (...) (19 years ago, 11-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: clip on train motor

(...) Hello Mitchell, The tabs can be used to add on to the length of the train motor body by placing one edge of a 4-wide plate on them. The tab clips under the side edge of the plate. LEGO used this in some of their train designs. See the (...) (19 years ago, 11-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: clip on train motor

(...) Thats interesting, I never realised they were for that (not having ever bought a 9V set). I always thought they just got in the way! Tim (19 years ago, 11-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: clip on train motor

(...) They're almost essential for some methods of articulating bogies. Add a 4L technic beam to the motor, sitting on the clips. Use plates to fix it onto the motor's studs. Add a double axle joiner: (URL) held in with two axle pegs, with the round (...) (19 years ago, 11-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: clip on train motor

(...) The also help secure the buffer/coupler unit to the end of the motor. Without the clips, the buffer plate tends to lift off. But one clip should work OK for this. I doubt you'll be able to glue it with any viable strength. I have a couple of (...) (19 years ago, 11-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: clip on train motor

(...) Sure thing - you should glue it back on to take advantage of the full functionality, but it's not critical per se. I've used superglue on a couple of mine, when some used motors' clips split away from the main body of the motor. That (...) (19 years ago, 21-Mar-05, to lugnet.trains)