 Trains / 24449
Re: LEGO Train Hobby growing... comments?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:38:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
   It “feels” like the hobby is growing, there are more shows and more clubs.

I often think about growth in serveal ways, two of which are: big, more brick intensive layouts and frequency of shows per club.

The bigger more brick intensive layouts are certainly a challange to the established members but it raises the barrier-of-entry to new and potecial members.

More shows a year starts to feel like your in a constant state of setting up and tearing down...

Anyone have comments on club growth and shows? Burnout? New members? Does your club have a set goal for the number of shows a year? And the size of the layout at the show?

SteveB

Interesting thoughts. I’m not of the opinion that a bigger structure layout is a better layout. But perhaps I’m biased as a newby. I certainly felt the presure to “acheive” when I joined a well established train club. I think that all new members should be encouraged to bring along a structure and/or stock for display. But it’s a mistake expect mass building of new or long standing members. If I had my way, I’d spend all my effort on trains and track side features, fortunatly others in my club enjoy and have the means to make large structures.

I think that any club can use the help in setting up and transport. As a whole club we have 2 large shows a year. One of them stands for 7 weeks, and has to be maned on the weekends. So new members are extreamly useful, even if they only bring a few small items for display. I’d like to do at least 2 more shows than that a year, and may do something smaller and more local with a few other members.

Mat