 Trains / 24298
Re: Motor cutouts (was Re: Vincent Veneman: AMAZING building)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:08:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:

Up to now I haven’t strained a train motor enough to have its thermal cut-out operate!

What are the circumstances under which people have had motor cutouts operate? Is it through crawling with a heavy train US-style, or perhaps using PWM control (generates more heat in coils)?

Mark

I’ve had one motor where the cutout failed. After removal it worked fine. I now remove all of these on my DCC conversions. And rely on the overload protection on the decoder.

I was also experimenting with swapping the can motor from a dead motor. This motor had more high end speed, but ran at about 1 amp! The cutout would shut the motor down after about 60 seconds of running. Idealy a replacemnt motor would have lower speed and greater torque.

Mat