 Trains / 24291
24290  |  24292
Subject:
Motor cutouts (was Re: Vincent Veneman: AMAZING building)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:18:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:
   ... I was thinking about the weight of your models too. It seems train motors can handle only so much, and then they burn out. ...

Legoswami Samarth

That’s why my big diesels have 2 motors without question. It also makes life easier if both bogies are the same (not for class 28 CoBo!).

Big steam engines have 2 motors under the tender, plus any extra ones for driving the wheels.

Small steam engines usually double-head, which is a good thing because there’s no room for a second motor!

The Pendolino has 4 motors - 2 at the front and 2 at the back. I deliberately chose slightly slower ones for the back to avoid compression of the train that would lead to derailment on curves.

I reckon to design for an average 200mA current per motor at a reasonable speed, one that I can run at for half an hour or more. The power supply I use has an ammeter built in, so it’s easy to see.

The Pendolino takes about 800mA at 7 Volts on a layout where it’s on a curve 2/3 of the time. It drops to about 500mA on the straight. For short periods I might run at 8 Volts and use 1 Amp.

The size of the layout is such that the train length is limited to about 19 straights, which is only a big diesel, 3 bogie wagons of 64 studs and a brake van. Most of my wagons are not heavy, but the cement tankers are http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=90778 since they’re sculpted from bricks and slopes. I have only 3 of these though! If I ran a heavier train I’d double-head big diesels.

Up to now I haven’t strained a train motor enough to have its thermal cut-out operate!

What are the circumstances under which people have had motor cutouts operate? Is it through crawling with a heavy train US-style, or perhaps using PWM control (generates more heat in coils)?

Mark