 Trains / 24198 (-20)
  ALCo and EMD

It's been too quiet in here lately, so I thought I'd dig something up. This one's for all the fans of the rivalry between EMD and ALCo. It's ironic that the two have been blended into one another by our guys. Check it out: (URL) is the WDM-3D class, (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New BNSF logo available for download*

(...) John, I dislike the color shade you used in your logo(1), although I agree with it completely. I think the new "lightning bolt" logo should be called a "wedge"... Scott Lyttle (1) JOKE!!! (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Without stepping on anyone's toes, I think the fact that the individual interests of trainheads themselves- within the trainhead (read .trains) community itself, differs. Afterall, interest in railroading (or any subject for that matter) (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: LEGO train wire inductors and DCC

(...) JB- Clearly if they are just for RFI, then that's not a DCC problem. Thanks. -Ted (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Snip (...) Atually, from what I remember of the movies we watched @ school, the air exchange can run up to about 98% clean air in a loop type arrangement. That's using something like 200% excess air in order to clear the cylinder of combustion (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO train wire inductors and DCC

(...) Hi ! The devices you are referring to are RFI suppressors. They are simply little blocks of ferrite surrounding the wire to add a miniscule (a few hundred nanohenries at most) amount of inductance to the wire so high frequency doesn't get (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) The big advantage of a OP engine is that you get good scavange air flow via the two ends of the cylinder being open at the same time. So, yes, it is in some ways more complex (timing gears between crankshafts, rather than valves), in other (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: any update on plans for Cincinnati in July?

(...) It's DEFINITELY happening. And it's going to ROCK! Are you on the ILTCO NMRA mailing list? All attending clubs should have a coordinator on that list, that's where a lot of this info has been propagated. Paul Janssen may well post some status (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  any update on plans for Cincinnati in July?

I've got club members trying to plan vacations, and we're curious as to dates, hotels, etc... Any confirmed plans, yet? Thanks, we're looking forward to seeing a LOT of you there! JohnG, GMLTC (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Oh ya, no doubt. I think one of the reasons for this whacky two piston, one cylinder, central combustion chamber arrangement is that in an exhaust port system, with the proper amount of lag between cylinders, you can arrange the exhaust to (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) They are probibly a lot more efficent when whey do have exhaust vales. A basic two stroke doesn't clear the cylinder of exhaust very efficiently. By opening the top of the cylinder through exhaust valves the rush of intake air will definitly (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO train wire inductors and DCC

(...) Are these inductors or chokes? In other RF interference suppression applications I had understood that there was no connection, just that the wire was routed through. There would still be some coupling (and back EMF?) though... Sorry I don't (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  LEGO train wire inductors and DCC

Anyone know the value of the inductors molded into the LEGO track connector wires? Considering the recommendations against (parallel wired) capacitors on the inputs to DCC decoders, then (seried wired) inductors would create a similar problem (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Well now I'll display MY ignorance... I know that a lot of 2 cycle engines are valveless but I did not think it was mandatory that they not have exhaust valves. Anyway, I am pretty sure the FM is 2 cycle, I think the Alco 244 was (but too lazy (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Nuts. I did travers the thread through your post, but I missed that link completely. I wasn't until Larry's post that the engine consept hit me. I did backtrack, but I missed the link the second time though. Now I want to build one of these. (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Sorry Larry, I've had far too many M&Ms today. And I just can't stop eating them. My question was in fact was serious. I didn't understand how an engine could have two cylenders share the same combustion chamber. I realized after that I asked (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Interesting, I didn't know that. I don't know about the mechanical merits/demerits of opposed pistons I suspect they have higher maintenance requirments that a conventional piston singal piston design. I also suspect that the FM application (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Coincidental. (...) I'm thinking of taking it up too. Legoswami Samarth (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Ironically (1) that's exactly the same link as I gave in my post, it was just hidden by the ftx! Tim (1) OK, its probably not ironic, probably some other word (2) (2) I'm getting into this footnoting thing (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Is *that* what it was, I thought you were baiting with that pejorative term... (1). But more importantly, what are you babbling about? I *know* what the engine term is. So does Tim. This is lugnet.trains after all, so why should I google for (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact